Did you know Australians use around 100 kilograms of plastic packaging per household each year?
Choose to refuse single-use plastics this July by signing up for the Plastic Free July challenge. Say no to plastic shopping bags, takeaway coffee cups, straws and bottles for a day, a week or the entire month.
In refusing single-use plastics, you will be joining a world-wide movement creating lasting change.
How do I get involved?
- Visit www.plasticfreejuly.org/ to register for the challenge.
- Remember to bring your reusables. Being plastic-free means you always need your trusty reusable water bottles, reusable coffee cups and reusable bags handy.
- Spread the word to your friends, neighbours and co-workers. The more people who choose to refuse, the greater impact we can make in reducing landfill and saving our oceans!
- Support businesses in Queenscliff and Point Lonsdale who have joined Plastic Free July.
Plastic Free July is proudly supported by the Borough of Queenscliffe.
Why is plastic a problem?
The plastic bottles, bags and takeaway containers that we use for just a few minutes use a material that is designed to last forever.
- Break up, not break down – becoming permanent pollution.
- Are mostly downcycled (made into low grade product for just one more use) or sent to landfill.
- ‘Escape’ from bins, trucks, events, etc. to become ‘accidental litter’.
- End up in waterways and the ocean – where scientists predict there will be more tonnes of plastic than tonnes of fish by 2050.
- Transfer to the food chain – carrying pollutants with them.
- Increase our eco-footprint – plastic manufacturing consumes 6% of the world’s fossil fuels.
Are you in for the Plastic Free July #choosetorefuse challenge?
Visit www.plasticfreejuly.org/ to register.