Most types of accommodation premises need to be registered with Council, including bed and breakfasts, hotels, motels, hostels, student dormitories, holiday camps and rooming houses.
Council's Environmental Health Officer is required to ensure standards and premise requirements are met under the Public Health & Wellbeing Regulations 2009. Council offers a service to review and endorse accommodation premises plans to assess compliance requirements.
Application process for new business
Prior to registering your new accommodation business please contact Council to arrange an assessment. This can assist in avoiding the risk of delays and costs if extra building works or alterations are subsequently needed to obtain registration.
- Submit application form – 'Submitting Plans for Approval for a Food or Health Business' – with the premises plans
- Submit application form – 'Application for Health Premises Registration' – with the premises plans and applicable fee
- Inspection of the premises will be arranged upon receiving the application form or plan approval form
- A Certificate of Registration will be issued to the proprietor once Council is satisfied compliance with the standards and statutory requirements has been achieved.
Purchasing an existing business
Before purchasing an existing business, a transfer inspection must be arranged with Council.
- Submit the request for information and documents application so that a transfer inspection can be arranged. This needs to be signed by the current proprietor.
- Council will arrange the inspection of the premises once it has received the request for information and associated documents.
- A copy of the transfer inspection report and application to transfer the premises will be sent out.
- Submit the application to transfer the premises along with the appropriate fee.
- A Certificate of Registration will be issued to the proprietor once Council is satisfied compliance has been achieved with the standards and statutory requirements.
For further information or assistance in completing application forms, please contact the Environmental Health Department.