Frequently asked questions

My bin is broken – can I get it repaired?

Yes, all broken parts on the waste bins can be repaired or replaced. Please report the fault to Customer Service. Repairs can take up to seven working days to complete.

What do I do if my waste bin or recycle bin is stolen?

If your bin is lost or stolen, please complete a Statutory Declaration and submit it to Customer Service. You will need to have your Statutory Declaration signed by a Justice of the Peace or a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits. Your replacement bin will be delivered approximately five to seven days after we receive your Statutory Declaration....

Does Council provide a hard waste collection?

Hard waste collections are conducted annually. The date is advertised on Council’s website and in the Borough Bites newsletter. The hard waste collection does not include e-waste; however, a special e-waste drop-off will be organised each year. Throughout the year, hard waste can be taken to the Drysdale Tip (fees apply). Read more…