Building permits

Slats of the roof of a house

A building permit must be granted before starting any building works unless the work is exempt under Building Regulations 2018. Although a building permit may not be required for some minor work, the owner of a building or land must still comply with building regulations.

You might also need a planning permit for your proposed building work (this may include the erection of fences, flagpoles, carports or sheds and the removal or lopping of trees). For more details on the planning process and the permit requirements, read our 'Lodge a planning application' page or contact Council's Town Planning team.

Obtaining a building permit

The Borough of Queenscliffe does not offer a building permit and inspection service, so you should contact a private building surveyor for advice before undertaking any building works. However, if you are in a designated flood prone area, your building surveyor will apply to Council's Municipal Building Surveyor for consent. The Municipal Building Surveyor will usually specify a floor level for the development.

Greenlight is an online permit portal used by Council where you can lodge all building related matters. You only need to register once to undertake any of the following functions:

  • Application for Building Surveyor's Consent
  • Application for Property Enquiry
  • Registration of a Swimming Pool or Spa
  • Apply for consent to demolish or part demolish a structure (Form A, Section 29A)

Private Building Surveyors can also use the GreenLight Building Portal to lodge Building Permits.


Obtaining a building certificate

A building certificate provides you with information about your property, such as:

  • Building permits issued in the last 10 years
  • Any orders or certificates issued on the property
  • Flood and termite information
  • Inspection dates for specific building works completed in the last 10 years.

You can apply for a building certificate if you:

  • Are the owner of the land where the building is located
  • Have permission from the owner of the land
  • Are purchasing the property and have entered into a contract
  • Work for a public authority and have notified the land owner of your intention to apply.

You can apply via Council's GreenLight Portal by  clicking below.


You will need to create a GreenLight account to access this information. If you have any issues using GreenLight, please contact Council.

Types of certificates

Regulation 51(1)

  • Details of any building permits issued in the preceding 10 years
  • Details of any current notice, order or certificate issued under the Building Regulations.

Regulation 51(2)

  • Information on whether the property is in an area which is liable to flooding within the meaning of Regulation 802
  • Designated under Regulation 803 as an area which buildings are likely to be subject to infestation by termites
  • A designated bush fire prone area determined under Regulation 804
  • An area determined under Regulation 805 to be likely to be subject to significant snowfalls
  • Designated land within the meaning of Regulation 806 to be subject to overland drainage

Regulation 51(3)

  • Mandatory inspection dates and results for building works related to any building permit issued in the preceding 10 years (information only supplied if requested by owner or authorised in writing by owner).