Council maintains a Heatwave Plan for the safety and welfare of our community. Our community is particularly vulnerable to heat-related illnesses, given that a large proportion of the population is aged 65 years and older.
The Borough of Queenscliffe Heatwave Plan(PDF, 677KB) aims to reduce heatwave associated risks within the Borough of Queenscliffe municipality by:
- Identifying risks to the community
- Assessing the vulnerability of the community to those risks
- Providing options to reduce or eliminate the risks and impacts of a heatwave on the municipality
- Having arrangements in place to reduce the health impacts of heatwave
- Developing media and communication messages, in line with whole-of-government messages, to inform the community and staff of the best way to look after themselves, relatives and their neighbours during a heatwave
- Providing support and assistance throughout the duration of the heatwave
- Ensuring response activities are consistent across the whole of government.